It’s a big decision. One that will impact your life and your family. Changing jobs or career direction can be a major life change. Don’t make the leap unprepared. LaunchNW will help you find an awesome new job in Clackamas, Milwaukie, Oregon City, Portland or Gresham. But here are a few things to consider before you make the jump.
Why Do You Want to Make the Switch?
The answer to this question may seem obvious, but asking yourself why you want to change jobs or take your career in a new direction is often not that simple.
- Is the root of your problem in your current work environment? Maybe your co-workers or supervisor are challenging.
- Is it the type of work itself? Maybe you don’t enjoy your work anymore.
- Have you outgrown your current job? Maybe you’re ready to stretch into new skill sets and job duties.
- Or do you just need to make more money? If so, make sure you consider all the other factors as well.
While it’s normal to want to move on from a job that doesn’t fulfill you, knowing the true reason is crucial. Otherwise, you risk moving on and having the same issues in a new job.
How Does the New Opportunity Compare to Your Current Job?
To decide if a career move makes sense, compare your options point by point. Money will most likely be at the top of your list, but don’t overlook other factors affecting your long-term success and satisfaction.
- Total compensation: This goes beyond hourly wage. The new job may pay more, but its benefits package may pale in comparison to your current job. Healthcare coverage, retirement contributions, educational reimbursement and paid time off are factors to consider.
- Job duty expectations: In many positions, your workweek may extend beyond the typical 40 hours. Ask the employer about expectations for the job. It could be the money increase doesn’t look as great when you’re expected to work a bunch of overtime.
- Culture shock: It’s true you won’t be able to learn everything about company culture during the interview process, but you can look for clues. If you’re coming from a laid-back, small business environment to a structured, large corporation, reflect on what the change means for you. Will you thrive in the new environment?
What’s the Cost of Staying?
No doubt about it. Changing jobs can be stressful and scary. But staying in a job that leaves you drained and miserable at the end of the workday is no less stressful.
- The feeling of dread that accompanies your arrival in the parking lot. If you feel terrible upon arriving, a job change may be less stressful for you in the long run.
- The feeling of being stuck with nowhere to go. If you’ve worked your way into a dead-end situation at your current company, an exit plan might be in order.
- The feeling you can’t escape your work. If the stress looms even at home and on the weekends, a change may be exactly what you need.
Ready to Make Your Next Career Move? Let the Experts at LaunchNW Help!
With our staffing office in Clackamas, LaunchNW helps talented, hardworking people like you find the work you want, where you want. We have opportunities available in Clackamas, Milwaukie, Oregon City, Portland and Gresham. Basically, we have openings all over the east side of the Portland metro area. Search for your new job today.